Object

Result 1 of 1





Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Record Image
Name/Title Sites and Monument Record: Callendar House (SMR 562)
Brief Description Brown and Wardrop (completed as Wardrop and Reid) 1869-77 in present external form being Francois Ier remodelling of earlier house of several dates with total frontage of 300', viz:- NW angle of main block small tower house probably late 14th century; extended to L-plan by wing running eastwards 54' linked at S gable, extended a further 88' mid 17th century and then by a further 40' to produce an approx. symmetrical 3-storey house of 182' frontage with single pile centre and double pile ends, centre of north front being recessed with octagonal stair turrets; low 2-storey L-plan wings added at ends late in 17th century to bring total frontage to 300'; Internal alterations proposed (?if executed) James Craig 1785, Internal alterations David Hamilton 1827, scheme for further additions 1830, not executed. Remodelled 1869-77, original harled surfaces and openings retained but more embellished with French architectural features carried out in coursers or ashlar, principally twin bay windows corbelled to square at 2nd floor with high French roofs, double staircase and 1st floor balcony south front, large triple stairhall block with high pavilion roof and angle turrets, single-storey entrance hall and porch with balconied platform roof north front tourelles added angles of main block, high French
roofs added over end sections of main block and wings chimneys rebuilt with diamond panels. Interior:- various dates, old staircase much renewed early in present century after fire damage, fine baroque painted ceiling, neo Greek pilastered and barrel vaulted library, small drawing room David Hamilton 1827, remainder modified or remodelled by Wardop.
Conservation Status Medieval
Post-Medieval
Georgian
Victorian
Site Type building
dwelling house
tower-house
mason's mark
Site Status Listed A
Site Grid Ref NS 8986 7934
Site History Notes The lands of Callendar were given to the Livingstone family in 1345-46. Reference is made to 'the place of Callendare with the jame' [1620 RS58/2 f.69] [DOST – jamme (2) an extending wing of a building]
The lands were forfeited in 1715 and sold to the York Buildings Company, but rented back to the Livingston family until 1783 when the lands were sold to William Forbes. Purchased by Falkirk Town Council in 1963 (by compulsory purchase order as part of overspill arrangements for Glasgow). Falkirk Town Council decided to demolish it in 1967. 12 Dec 1970 Falkirk Herald reported further decision to demolish, however, Callendar House Conservation Committee was formed Dec 1970 and approached Secretary of State for Scotland. New planning regulations required RCAHMS listed building consent and Scottish Development Department advised against demolition. No public inquiry held.
16 October 1974 minutes of Falkirk Town Council report decision to renovate Callendar House and apply for historic building grants to do this.
Dorothy Summers and Philip Forbes were the first couple to get married in Callendar House following the renovations - on 7th April 2000.
  • Select this result