Object

Result 1 of 1





Record Image
Department Sites & Monuments Record
Name/Title Sites and Monument Record: Callendar House Mausoleum (SMR 577)
Brief Description Located about 0.5 mile SE of the House is a large mausoleum in the form of a Doric temple. On a heavily rusticated circular podium sits a cella with a peristyle of 12 columns of the Greek Doric order. The entrance is on the NW, and bears Lucian's couplet in Greek: "Mortals' possessions are mortal, and all things pass us by; if not, at any rate we pass them by".
Site Type building
burial
Site Status Listed A
Period Georgian
Documentation Stirlingshire: An Inventory of Ancient Monuments.; RCAHMS; John Sinclair House 16 Bernard Terr Edinburgh; 1963
Graveyards of Falkirk District: Part 1, Introduction; Geoff Bailey; Falkirk Museums Callendar House Callendar Park, Falkirk; Archaeologist; 1996; Calatria
Callendar House in 1925.; Unknown; 1995; Calatria
New Statistical Account.; Geoff Bailey; Falkirk Museums Callendar House Callendar Park, Falkirk; Archaeologist
Round About Falkirk; Robert Gillespie; 1879
Documentation Notes "Mausoleum. About half a mile SE of the mansion, and forming a feature of the scheme of landscape gardening mentioned above, there stands a mausoleum built in the form of a circular Classical temple (Pl.50A). This was completed about 1816.(2) The heavily rusticated podium supports a cella and a peristyle of twelve columns of the Greek Doric order. The entrance is on the NW., and bears on its lintel Lucian's couplet(3):

"Mortals' possessions are mortal, and all things pass us by; if not, at any rate we pass them by").
898793 NS 87 NE 30th June 1957"
[p.351]
p.20,21
p.52-53
"Within the wood there is a mausoleum erected by the late Mr. Forbes, in which his remains are deposited. It is of a circular form, ornamented with Doric columns. Over the door there is a Greek inscription, which has been translated thus: "All things we mortals call our own/ Are mortal too and quickly flown; But could they all for ever stay,/ We soon from them must pass away!"
[p.12]
In one of the leafiest of those sylvan nooks lies the mausoleum of the Forbes family. The masonry of the charnel-house is somewhat imposing - circular in form, with a rustic cell, on which stand twelve fluted Doric columns, crowned with a capital; while a massive dome rises over a corresponding architrave. The latest buried was the yioung and queenly wife of the present laird - a Miss O'Hara in maidenhood, born of an ancient and honourable family in the West of Ireland, and married to Mr Forbes on the 23rd June, 1859. The deceased lady died in Dublin. [p266/267]
Site Grid Ref NS 9039 7899
Site History Notes Burials include William Forbes (1815), Col Charles W Forbes (1948), William Dudley Henry Charles Forbes (1977)
Metal door replaced with concrete in 1993.
  • Select this result