Object Highlights Sites

Result 4 of 4





Name/Title Sites and Monument Record: Callendar House (SMR 562)
Brief Description Brown and Wardrop (completed as Wardrop and Reid) 1869-77 in present external form being Francois Ier remodelling of earlier house of several dates with total frontage of 300', viz:- NW angle of main block small tower house probably late 14th century; extended to L-plan by wing running eastwards 54' linked at S gable, extended a further 88' mid 17th century and then by a further 40' to produce an approx. symmetrical 3-storey house of 182' frontage with single pile centre and double pile ends, centre of north front being recessed with octagonal stair turrets; low 2-storey L-plan wings added at ends late in 17th century to bring total frontage to 300'; Internal alterations proposed (?if executed) James Craig 1785, Internal alterations David Hamilton 1827, scheme for further additions 1830, not executed. Remodelled 1869-77, original harled surfaces and openings retained but more embellished with French architectural features carried out in coursers or ashlar, principally twin bay windows corbelled to square at 2nd floor with high French roofs, double staircase and 1st floor balcony south front, large triple stairhall block with high pavilion roof and angle turrets, single-storey entrance hall and porch with balconied platform roof north front tourelles added angles of main block, high French
roofs added over end sections of main block and wings chimneys rebuilt with diamond panels. Interior:- various dates, old staircase much renewed early in present century after fire damage, fine baroque painted ceiling, neo Greek pilastered and barrel vaulted library, small drawing room David Hamilton 1827, remainder modified or remodelled by Wardop.
  • Top