Object Highlights Munn's Scotland

Result 21 of 39





Record Image
Department Photo
Accession No P38811
Name/Title Ferry, Ballachulish
Primary Prod Date Aug 1947
Brief Description Text on negative envelope reads 'Ballachulish. Ferry (South side)'. View of the 'Maid of Glencoe' lying idle and another turntable ferry with two cars making the crossing.
Primary Maker Munn, John Peat
Collection Munn Photographic Collection/Family & Personal Papers Group
Subject Category Ferry/Boat/Transport; Water
Car/Transport; Road
Subject Place Ballachulish/Highland
Subject Notes The Ballachulish ferry avoided the long road round Loch Leven via Kinlochleven. In 1906 the ferry was an open boat which could take one car straddled across it. By the early 1920s a motor-boat was used. In the summer long queues of vehicles formed, despite the introduction of larger ferries. A road bridge replaced the ferry in the 1975. The hotel on the south side dates from the 18th century.
  • Select this result