Object

Result 1 of 1





Record Image
Department Photo
Accession No P01114
Caption Falkirk Post Office
Date photo taken 1874-1883
Brief Description Men and boys stand outside the Post Office, High Street, Falkirk. The men are wearing bowlers and suits, one with a single breasted waistcoat. The boys are wearing caps. The lamp post has a crown above the lantern and 'Post Office' on the glass.
Photographer or Artist Unknown
Subject Notes 51 High Street formerly owned by Mrs Hill (Falkirk Herald 19 December 1874 4D)
The Post Office moved to this site in 1874 from elsewhere in the High Street, and then to Newmarket Street in 1883. It then moved to a purpose built building in Vicar Street in 1893 and then to Garrison Street in 1971.
Subject Category Post Office/Postal Service
Subject Person Falkirk Post Office
Subject Place Falkirk Post Office (51)/High St/Falkirk town centre/Falkirk area
Associated Notes The Post Office offered, in addition to postal services, parcel post, insurance, annuities, savings bank and telegrams. There were no telephones at this time. Alexander Graham Bell did not register his patent in the US until 1876.
Grid Ref NS 887 799
  • Select this result