Object

Result 1 of 1





Record Image
Department Photo
Accession No P00695
Caption Burns Court, Falkirk
Date photo taken Early 20th Century?
Brief Description A one-and-a-half storey house with a dormer window is in front of a close leading to the High Street and tenements of three storeys, of stone and slate construction. The close is lit by a gas lamp.
Photographer or Artist Unknown
Subject Notes The buildings probably date from the second half of the 19th century.
Subject Category Mixed/Housing
Subject Place Burns Ct/Falkirk town centre/Falkirk area
Associated Notes Closes, or narrow lanes called wynds or vennels ran off the High Street. Some were demolished around 1900 to improve the flow of traffic, and others in the late 20th century, but some still survive.
Up until the First World War, stone was the main building material. Slate was obtained from quarries such as those at Ballachulish and Easdale in Argyll, or from Wales.
Grid Ref NS 887 798
  • Select this result