Object

Result 1 of 1





Record Image
Department Photo
Accession No P13241
Name/Title "Bainsford Bridge, Falkirk"
Primary Prod Date Circa 1910
Brief Description View looking north of tram approaching Bainsford Bridge. The complex gantries to take the tramway's power cables over the towpath and canal can be seen. The elegant electric street lamp is of the type installed in the main roads in Falkirk in association with the opening of the Falkirk Power Station in 1903. They were made by the Falkirk Iron Company. Bridge gates can be seen. A woman wearing a shawl is passing a Caledonian Railway billboard advertising an excursion to Bridge of Allan.
Primary Maker Davidson's Real Photo
Subject Category Tramcar/Transport; Road
tramway/Transport; Road
Bridge/Canal; Forth and Clyde/Transport; Water
Subject Person Falkirk & District Tramways Co
Caledonian Railway Co
Subject Place Main St/Bainsford/Falkirk area
Bainsford Bridge/Forth and Clyde Canal/Bainsford/Falkirk area
Subject Notes The swing bridge was built in the summer of 1905 to carry the new trams. The Caledonian Railway Company, which owned the canal, objected to the original gantries because they obstructed the towropes of the horse drawn barges. The tram company replaced them with cantilevered gantries that spanned the towpath.
  • Select this result