Object

Result 1 of 1





Record Image
Department Photo
Accession No P16433
Name/Title "Airth Road Station, Airth"
Primary Prod Date Circa 1906
Brief Description View of a single carriage train sitting at the platform. The carriage has two First Class compartments and three Third Class, and possibly a guard's compartment. There are windows at the back of the carriage. On the right is a small waiting room and there is gas lighting on the platform.

This photo is not available as a scanned image. You can see the original in the Archives in Callendar House.
Primary Maker Russell, W
Subject Category station/Transport; Rail
Subject Person Caledonian Railway Co
Subject Place Airth Road Station/Powdrake/Stirling (Council Area)
Subject Notes Station on the branch line from Larbert to Alloa The Station Master here in 1910 was Alex Petrie; the Way Ganger for Alloa Junction to Dunmore was David Sharp. South Alloa was served by a freight line from Dunmore.

Airth Road Station was opened in January 1866 and re-named Airth Station in January 1886. Airth Station was on the branch line from Larbert to Alloa. The line crossed the Forth by a long viaduct of 21 spans, 491 metres long. The opening of the bridge on 1 October 1885 allowed the Caledonian Railway directly into Alloa rather than terminating at a ferry on the south shore. Airth Station closed on 20 September 1954 and Throsk on 18 April 1966. The track was lifted in February 1971.
  • Select this result