Object

Result 1 of 1





Record Image
Department Photo
Accession No P04348
Name/Title Castings being poured at Tayforth Foundry casting shop.
Primary Prod Date 1978
Brief Description View of a group of foundry workers in the casting shop pouring molten iron from a ladle into mouldings. The ladle is suspended from a hook and pulley of a mobile roof crane controlled by one of the workers. One worker is wearing a visor.
Primary Maker Gibson, Robert
Subject Category Casting Shop/casting/Ironfounding Industry
Subject Person Taylor, R & Co Ltd
Subject Place Tayforth Foundry/Stirling Rd/Bogton/Falkirk area
Subject Notes Tayforth Foundry was owned by R Taylor & Co Ltd, founded in 1920. Originally it produced marine, mining and general engineering castings. From 1939 to 1962 they produced Tayco boilers and in 1976 the company merged with Forth Alloys Ltd of Cumbernauld. In 1968 they became the first company in Scotland to use an electric furnace. As gas central heating ate into the market for solid fuel boilers the foundry concentrated on castings for the automotive industry.
  • Select this result