Interior of Haining (Almond) Castle, Whitecross

Maker
Tom Astbury
Production date
04 Jul 1980
Description
View of the interior showing door and window openings. The floors have collapsed. There is a vaulted roof.
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Maker
Production date
04 Jul 1980
Subject notes
Haining Castle was built by the Crawfords. It passed to the Livingstons in 1565, who changed its name to Almond Castle in 1641. After Livingston's support for the Jacobite Uprising of 1715 the estate was forfeited and the castle fell into disuse.

The L-plan tower had a vaulted ground and top storeys and chapel on the second floor. The parapet at the top has mostly fallen down but would probably have been crenellated. It is now surrounded by an industrial estate, formerly a brickworks.
Accession number
P10245

Colours


Subject Auto Tags


Subject category


Share