Model of Callendar House in 1700 from The Story of Callendar House exhibition

Maker
Alexander Burt
Production date
1995
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Production date
1995
Subject notes
Callendar House was extended in 1660 following considerable damage to the older part of the house during the siege of 1651. The house remained L-shaped following the 1660 extension. There was then a further extension in the 1680s, adding a block on the east side to balance the original block on the west, making the 1660 extension into a central block.

By this period there was no longer any point in building defensive buildings as the Civil War had shown that fortified houses and castles were no longer able to withstand the firepower of the time. The masonry work was well executed with a facade of dressed ashlar blocks divided horizontally by a modified string course at first floor level and surmounted by a flat parapet. The facade was pierced by large window openings and floor having a slightly different size, displaced in a symmetrical fashion. The buildings surrounding the windows were more elaborate than before. The main doorway on the north side was relatively plain without embellishment and faced the newly cut avenue through the Antonine Wall.

The greater number of rooms allowed for greater differentiation in their usage. The 1660 extension still had vaulted stoned on the ground floor at the west but in the centre was a paved entrance hall with an apsidal alcove on one side. The 1680s extension saw living rooms on the ground floor each provided with its own fireplace.
Accession number
P24075

Colours


Share