Building inscription, Rough Castle
Found in the principia in 1903, it may have been a well. The inscription reads '[Imp(eratori) Ca]esari Tito [Aelio] Hadriano [Anto]nino Aug(usto) [Pio] P(atri) P(atriae) coh(ors) VI [Ner]viorum pri[ncip]ia fecit'. This translates as 'The Sixth Cohort of the Nervii erected the headquarters building for the Emperor Caesar Titus Aelius Hadrianus Antoninus Augustus Pius, Father of his country.'
See full details