Camelon Bridge.

Maker
1. Unknown
2. Parsons-Peebles Ltd
Production date
1905
Description
The new swing bridge built at Camelon to accommodate tramcars. The bridge is open for the road, closed for the canal. A group of men are standing at the edge of the canal. A man with bowler hat is standing on the bridge. Album caption reads: "Building of the Canal Bridge at Camelon for the Tramway Co. Year 1905"
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Production date
1905
Subject notes
The bascule bridge was replaced in 1905 by a heavy duty swing bridge in order to allow the tramway to be carried over the canal. This photograph and P03377 probably record the inspection of the new bridge's operation. The contract was let to Bruce Peebles of Pilton, Edinburgh, who sub-contracted the steelwork to Motherwell Bridge and the electrical work to the Bridge Electric Equipment Company of London.
Accession number
P03376