Bo'ness Pottery records

Primary maker
Bo'ness Pottery
Production date
Mid 19th Century-Late 19th Century
Description
Plan of Bo'ness Pottery

Object detail

Name/title notes
Opened by Dr John Roebuck, in his son's name, in 1787. It was sold after Dr Roebucks death in 1784. It was bought by Thomas Cowan, a Bo'ness merchant who had been running the pottery on a day to day basic before the sale. Cowan went into liquidation and Alexander Cumming, Customs Officer of Bo'ness became the controlling trustee. The property was then purchased in 1799 in the name of his 12 year old nephew James Cumming. James took over the running of the business after Alexander's death in 1813. Due to financial mismanagement the business failed and was sold in 1828 to James Shaw and James Jamieson, two local businessmen. It now traded as James Jamieson & Co. on the death of James Jamieson 3 years later the business was inherited by his 3 year old son and was run by James and Robert Syme and the Jamieson Family. The firm expanded rapidly during this period and was employing over a hundred staff. In 1851 James Jamieson took on James Balfour Robertson as a partner. By July 1854 the business was in financial difficulty again and went into sequestration.
John Marshall, a corn merchant and brother in law of James Jamieson, became the new owner and the firm was known as John Marshall & Co. Three new bottle kilns were built and the workforce expanded to to 149 by 1861.. In 1867 his brother in law William McNay became a partner. during this period a large export trade developed. In 1879 John Marshall died and William McNay died the year after. McNay's brother, Charles, ran the company until John Marshall jnr took over in 1886. In 1898 after the collapse of one of the floors of the pottery stores, with the loss of a large export order, the company went into liquidation and the company was broken up.
Level of current record
Collection
Primary maker
Production date
Mid 19th Century-Late 19th Century
Measurements
1 item
Archives finding aids
This catalogue entry provides a summary of the whole collection. Please use the search tools on the Collections Browser to look for information about individual items in this collection.

You can see catalogues of the items in this collection on our website. http://www.falkirkcommunitytrust.org/heritage/archives/finding-aids/docs/business/Friendly_societies_and_co-operatives.pdf
Restriction
Open - no restriction on access
Accession number
A2062

Share

My shortlist

Public comments

Be the first to comment on this object record.

Google reCaptchaThis site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.