View of BP oil refinery, Grangemouth

Maker
Grangemouth Town Council. Town Planning Officer
Production date
26 Nov 1973
Description
View from the Jinkabout bridge showing cooling towers, flare stacks and chemical plants. Bridges carrying the road and a pipeline can be seen in the foreground. To the left is a stretch of the River Avon. The refinery is built on carseland which is flat.
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Production date
26 Nov 1973
Subject notes
The refinery was built on farmland belonging to Easter, Mid and Wester Saltcoats Farms by Scottish Oils in 1924. Oil production from West Lothian shale was declining and an alternative source of crude had been identified in the Middle East.

By the late 1940s BP (successor of Scottish Oils) owned 160 hectares. An industrial plant and a new road were later built on the vacant land in the foreground. The former Central Scotland Airport was also built upon.
Accession number
P06156

Colours


Subject category


Share