Sites and Monument Record: Callendar House Stables (SMR 579)
Large group of buildings about 200 yds NW of Callendar House. To the N is the Factor's House and several workmen's cottages. The earliest part of the stable complex appears to be the square on the S side. This appears in the plan of 1781. The quadrangle is 2-storey, 7-window rough ashlar front with a central segmental arch with keyblock, 3-windows raised in roof with piended heads, loupin-on stone. Cartshed block at SW early 19th century. Cast iron colummed, semi-elliptical arches, bellcast to roof; at NW early 19th century block with tall narrow 1st floor windows, keyblocked segmental arches, piended roof, and crenellated doocot tower; later low single storey curved block of stabling,North-east range mid 19th century stuccoed, stepped in slope, house at north end single-storey 2-window and centre door to front 2-storey sides and back, hood moulds and pointed crenellation, single storey north wing also with crenellation.