Sites and Monument Record: Callendar House Stables Doocot (SMR 14)
This structure replaced an earlier building which has been demolished by the construction of the mainline railway. It now stands behind a later low single-storeyed curved stable block. It is housed in a crenellated tower attached to a block with tall narrow first floor windows and piended roof. The lower part of the tower was used as kennels, but at 16 ft above the ground a string-course marks the upper storey which contains 884 sandstone nest holes. The tower measures some 21 ft square. The entrance holes for the birds face S and are seven in number. An account of 1828 is given in the reference.