Sites and Monument Record: Larbert West Church (SMR 131)
The church is located on a west-facing hill slope on the south side of the Main Street, which here is terraced below it. In 1898 construction began with the hall, the church was opened in 1901. The architect was JP Goodsir of Falkirk. The arrangement of nave and transepts made the church cruciform in plan, measuring 72ft by 42ft and 58 by 24ft. The entrance to the church lay in the centre of the N or front gable, with a 3-light window on either side and a large 5-light traceried window above set into the gable. Flanking this gable on either side are the projecting staircase wings with octagonal shaped ends. They give access to an end gallery (provision for side galleries was made but never required). The gallery overlies the vestibule, which is separated from the nave by a wooden screen containing art Nouveau coloured glass. The nave is lighted from both sides by double rows of 3-light windows, making the interior very airy. The transept gables contain large mullioned windows of 2 and 4 lights. The open timber roof is divided into bays by heavy principals with cambered tie-beams. Vestry and committee rooms lay behind the east transept.
In the early 1980s the space between the hall and the nave was roofed to form additional meeting rooms.
See full details