Sites and Monument Record: Larbert East Church (SMR 133)

Description
The church was opened in 1903 at a cost of £5,000 on the site of an earlier church built in 1844 for the Free church of Scotland. Its main facade is the gable facing south onto Church Street, to which it gives its name. The architect was James Strang, Falkirk. It is Gothic in style with a tower attached to the east end of the south gable, balanced by a three-storey stair turret at the west end. A wide advanced porch is framed by a pointed hoodmould with finials and contains two doors. Towering above it is a tall 4-light traceried window with quatrefoil spandrels and a rose window. The buttressed three-staged square tower has a crenellated parapet set on a corbelled string course with angle finials (the original plans show a steeple). It contains an entrance in its east face, with irregularly spaced small rectangular openings to the third floor, three heavily moulded lancet windows on the second stage and double louvred belfry openings on the third stage. The stair turret has similar rectangular windows to those on the base of the tower, with a large quatrefoil window on the third floor. Its west gable is finished with an apse containing a side door. The stonework of the gable is squared stugged ashlar with tooled dressings.
Behind this facade the body of the church extends to the north. It has a slated roof with a red tiled ridge. The pitch of the roof shallows over the aisles. There are five lightly buttressed bays on the sides, each containing a Y-traceried window. The north gable houses an apse. Internally the five bays are reflected in the disposition of the cast iron columns. At the south end is a gallery with wood panelled front. The ceiling is open showing the braced tie-beam construction with King posts.
In 1918 the hall to the north was destroyed by fire and in 1924 the new halls were opened at a cost of £3400. The memorial stone in the north wall was laid on 28th Dec 1923. Above the door is the motto "NEC TAMEN CONSUME SATUR". The hall has red brick and harled external walls in a simple Arts and Crafts finish.

Object detail

Site status
Site history notes
Originally the Free Church.
Site conservation date
1903
Site grid ref
NS 8704 8295
Conservation status

Share

My shortlist

Public comments

Be the first to comment on this object record.

Google reCaptchaThis site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.