Sites and Monument Record: Carronvale House (SMR 209)

Extensively remodelled country house 1897 but incorporating walls of earlier house (18th century with 2 added wings in 1820s). Large 2-storey house with neo Georgian details, planned around small internal court. Harled with ashlar dressings, modern red felt tiled roof. Entrance front, near symmetrical 5-bay; central door, pilastered and consoled cornices. 2 wider advanced wings with canted ground floor windows, centre lights with curvilinear rail over casements, bipartite above, additional single storey projection to W. All other windows sash and case with 15-pane glazing. To E and W of main front set back bays with elaborately pilastered and decorated ashlar 1st floor facades. To W elevation ground floor verandah. To E lower service court (now altered) Interior: finely executed woodwork throughout; main front rooms with stained glass panels of castles. Outer hall, marble floor and bold plain chimneypiece with columned overmantel; decorative renaissance detail screen and internal porch. panelled stair hall, stair with wine glass balusters, coved ceiling to upper landing supported on cherub consoles, screens at either end of landing, stained glass Art Nouveau stair window. drawing room, marble chimneypiece with overmantel incorporating cherubs and swags, deep frieze, plaster panelled ceiling, Former library, 3 French windows with coloured glass, chimneypiece and overmantel, coved ceiling. Dining Room, elaborate chimneypiece with wimber details rising to timber joisted ceiling. Simple but consistent detail in 1st floor rooms (2 amalgamated to front of house). Extensive walls (formerly part of walled garden and stable range to N and E).

Object detail

Site status
Site history notes
Home of the Sherriff family.

"Grandfather died at Carronvale in November 1896 and after his death great plans were made for alterations to it. The chosen architect was Sir John Burnet, a very successful man who had been at school at Blair Lodge with father. It was 1900 before it was completed… was completely changed and more than doubled in size. Nurseries, a schoolroom and a new wing for the servants were added, a new kitchen, back court and offices also."

During the Second World War the house was used as the offices of the Prudential Insurance Co. Bought by the Boys Brigade in 1946. Proposals for a massive new sports and conference centre in 1998.
Site conservation date
Site grid ref
NS 8671 8198
Conservation status


My shortlist

Public comments

Be the first to comment on this object record.

Google reCaptchaThis site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.