Sites and Monument Record: Carriden House (SMR 305)

Description
Dated 1602, but earlier fabric apparent in lower walls, and later additions. L-plan, with 2 later wings making it roughly T-plan. 4 storeys over a vaulted basement. Squared, roughly coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. Corbelled angle turrets with fluted gun-loops and conical, fishscale slate roofs, at each of original 5 outer angles. Entrance through mid 19th century porch in re-entrant angle, with deep castellated parapet, small angle turret at left, coat-of-arms in frame over centre. East elevation has central 1st floor window with date 1602 over it, the shouldered architrave is possibly a re-set door lintel. Some original simple roll moulded openings survive; later curved canted or squared oriels inserted, and other windows enlarged. 2-storey west and north wings added. West wing 6 bays with coping raised to form gables over 1st floor windows. Central wallhead stack.
Interior. Principal floor consists of a study with fine late 17th century plaster ceiling with deeply undercut fruit and flower wreath to central oval, foliate designs in spandrels, and swagged cove above cornice. Some late 17th/early 18th century panelling and chimneypieces.
See full details

Object Detail


Site status
Site history notes
Carriden House, set within 737 acres, includes three farms, Home, Stacks, Walton. Built for Sir John Hamilton, 1st Lord Barga, who had acquired the estate in 1607. Acquired by Rear Admiral Sir George Johnstone Hope in 1814. His son was Admiral of the Fleet Sir James Johnstone Hope (1808-81).
The owners of Carriden were:
Sir Wm de Veteriponte
Sir Alexander de Cockburn - Sir James Cockburn 1358-1541
Patrick Abercromby - Patrick jnr 1541-1601
Sir John Hamilton - John jnr 1601-1667
Sir Walter Seton 1667-1678
Walter Cornwall 1678
Alexander Milne 1679-1696
Colonel John Erskine 1696-1702
General George Ramsay (Dalhousie)& heirs 1702-1719
Colonel Francis Charteris & heirs 1719-1764
Colonel Campbell Dalrymple 1764-1767
William Maxwell - Wm jnr 1767-1814
Admiral Sir George Johnston Hope 1814-1829
James Hope 1829-
Mrs Hope
Helen Hope -1890
Col. George Lloyd Verney 1890-
James Lloyd Verney -1909
Harry Lloyd Verney 1909-1912
Joseph Constant (London) 1912-1916
Bridgeness Coal Co 1916-
Thomson
Tom & Anne Barkhouse -c2000
Graham Blackbourne 2000-2017
Michelle & Ross Chian 2017-
During the First World War the House was used as a convalescent home for wounded soldiers.
Site conservation date
1602
Site grid ref
NT 0250 8083
Conservation status

Colours


Share