Sites and Monument Record: Kinneil House, Bo'ness (SMR 316)
Central block 1677 front but incorporating mid 16th century keep, gunloops for which exist on W elevation. 5 storeys, 3 bays. Rubble built, partly harled. Cornice and balustraded parapet. Roofless for several years, with replacement of c1977. Central door with lugged architrave and bracketed, segmental pediment. Square, 4-storey towers at each end (pyramidal roofs also reinstated) with turnpike stairs in rear re-entrant angles; S one with frame for big armorial panel (now inside), N links to mid 16th century NE part. N BLOCK: mid 16th century, L-plan with lean-to additions in re-entrant angle, 3-storeys. Vaulted 1st storey. Crowstepped gables. This block has important 16th century wall and ceiling decorations. The Parable Room, under a compartmented timber ceiling of 17th century date has walls divided by arcade of Corinthian pilasters with illustrative mural panels within.
Arbour Room has tunnel vaulting, wreaths of foliage with beasts, birds, lettering and roundels with busts. Overlaid 1621-4 by painted simulation of panelled dado and compartmented ribbed vault. Part of both schemes remain. A well lies in the boiler room on the ground floor.
The gatepiers are listed separately. 17th century, square-plan with engaged columns on the E face,
Cornice and square cap with ball finial. Squared rubble with ashlar dressings.
See full details