Train at Denny Railway Station

Maker
Unknown
Production date
Circa 1930
Description
View of a small engine attached to a two coach train, with station staff. Steam is escaping from the chimney; behind it is the condenser. In the cab are the driver and fireman. The engine belongs to the LMS. On the platform are uniform staff and others.
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Maker
Production date
Circa 1930
Subject notes
The staff on the platform are probably porters, shunters and the booking clerk. The man with the flag is probably the train guard. (He waved a green flag to instruct the driver to proceed.) The railway industry was labour intensive compared to today. In 1859, the Caledonian Railway opened a branch line from Larbert to Denny. Regular passenger services ceased in 1930, but a freight service to the paper mills continued until the 1964. The LMS absorbed the Caledonian in 1923.
Accession number
P01875

Colours


Share