Sites and Monument Record: Vicar Chambers (Grand Theatre 29-35 Vicar St) (SMR 1546)

Description
Alex Cullen, 1903. 4-storey, 8-bay (above ground) tenement with shops at ground and commercial premises at 1st floor; ogee-roofed corner tower and Baroque detailing. Polished ashlar with squared and snecked rubble to sides and rear; ashlar dressings. Deep fascia and cornice to shops, eaves cornice. Round-headed door; some large round-headed windows with voussoirs; segmental and triangular pediments; stylised corbels. Chamfered arrises and stone mullions, timber transoms and mullions to round-arched windows.

W (VICAR STREET) ELEVATION: bay to left of centre at ground floor with round-headed doorpiece with 'VICAR CHAMBERS' under corbelled segmental hoodmould and blind panel (see Notes), deep-set panelled timber door, shops with fixed display windows in flanking bays (detail obscured by modern fascias), that to left with 2-leaf panelled timber door, plate glass fanlight and panelled soffit; further later broad Art Deco style doorpiece to outer right also under cornice. Vertically-emphasised bays above ground (grouped 1-2-1-2-2); bays 1, 7 and 8 each with 6-light round-headed window giving way to canted oriel windows, bay 8 also breaking eaves into finialled triangular pediment with flanking pinnacles and set-back polygonal tower with deep cornice and finialled lead roof. Bay 4 with single window at 1st floor giving way to keystoned semicircular pediment with flanking corbels at base of full-height chimneys, further

single windows above set into vertical panel with keystone and triangular pediment, and flanked by tall stacks piercing eaves. Single windows to remaining bays, those to 2nd and 3rd floors set into panels.

N ELEVATION: plain gabled elevation with stacks flanking gablehead.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: flat-roofed single storey bays projecting at ground; largely regular fenestration to set-back face with 2 stair windows at centre (lower window altered).

4- and 6-pane glazing patterns over plate glass lower sashes to W and plate glass glazing to E, all in timber sash and case windows. Coped ashlar stacks with cans and ashlar-coped skews.


INTERIOR: stairway with decoratively-bordered ceramic brick dadoes and panelled timber doors with small-pane top lights to 1st floor. Plain cornices to shop at No 35.

Object detail

Site type
Site status
Site history notes
No 31 (1st floor) was formerly the premises of Customs and Excise shipping agents, and until recently the panel (now blind) over the main door marked 'Vicar Chambers' held a timber-framed painting of ocean going liners. Lawson refers to the 'entry to the Grand Theatre' (1903-1929) but adds that "Today the Regal Cinema occupies the site".

The building was sold to the ABC Group and in 1934 all but the façade was demolished, replaced by the Regal Cinema on Princes Street by architect Charles J McNair. The original entrance to the Grand was replaced by the (now redundant) Art Deco entrance which led to the new cinema café.

List description updated 2010 as a result of the Thematic Theatres Study.
Site grid ref
NS 8885 8012

Share

My shortlist

Public comments

Be the first to comment on this object record.

Google reCaptchaThis site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.