Sites and Monument Record: Erskine Church (1) (SMR 1677)
Now occupied by the Callendar Square shopping centre.
See full details
In 1817 the meeting house was remodelled. It was widened by 12 ft, the walls and gables built of a sufficient height to admit a plastered ceiling, and new enlarged galleries. The ground floor was also raised. During renovation work meetings were held in the adjoining churchyard with the sacrament being dispensed in the West Church. Cost c£1,000 and seated 1258.
1878: William Black advised the demolition of the old manse. This was done and he designed a church hall with vestry, two waiting rooms and an entrance hall. The iron gate for this was donated by Baillie Mitchell of Grahamston Iron Works.
In 1903 a new site was acquired for a church at the junction of Cockburn Street and Hodge Street and this opened in 1905.