Bainsford Bridge

Maker
A C Brown
Production date
Post 1905
Description
View north of the Bainsford bridge over the Forth and Clyde Canal showing the gantries for the tramway's overhead power cables. The gate for closing the road is on the left. There is an elegant electric street lamp in the foreground. Billboards advertise 'The Edinburgh Evening News', 'The Falkirk Herald' and Oxo cubes.
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Maker
Production date
Post 1905
Subject notes
The Bainsford and Camelon bridges were replaced by heavy duty swing bridges in 1905 to carry the new trams. The Caledonian Railway Company, which owned the canal, objected to the original gantries because they obstructed the tow rope of the horse drawn barges. The tram company replaced them with cantilevered gantries that spanned the towpath.

The street lamp is of the style erected in Falkirk's main roads in association with the opening of Falkirk Power Station in 1903. They were made by the Falkirk Iron Company.
Accession number
P00326

Colours


Share