Sites and Monument Record: McLaren Jubilee Memorial Church (Stenhouse Parish Church) (SMR 130) - stained glass
Chancel: The east window consists of three lights and bears the signature of Douglas Strachan. It is a representation of St John’s vision in the 4th and 5th chapters of the Book of Revelation. The bottom of each of the three lights represents the earthly scene and life; on the left, looking towards the window, is industry (Carron Works), then a country scene; and on the right St John shades his eyes as he looks up at the heavenly scene. Above the earthly part is the Sea of Glass. In the centre light the Lord holds the seven stars in the blue firmament in His right hand; around are the seven golden candlesticks; from His head flashes a ray of light (to reproduce “out of his mouth went a sharp two-edged sword” would be grotesque if directly reproduced). At His feet is the Lamb of God, around Him the four and twenty elders, and then the worshipping hosts of heaven. On the left is shown a soul rising from earth to heaven and being received by an angel in red (charity). Underneath is the following inscription “In memory of George Sherriff of Carronvale and Stenhouse 1856-1908. ‘Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so come Lord Jesus’. Given by Catherine Sherriff, September 1914.”
2. In the small window on the north side of the chancel is a representation of the end of the walk to Emmaus, and shows our Lord breaking bread with the two disciples (St Luke 24, verses 13-31), subscribed by the words, “their eyes were opened and they knew Him.” Below is a medallion showing Cleophas and his companions inviting Jesus to enter the house. The whole is surrounded by the signs of the four evangelists and surmounted by the dove of peace. This window was gifted by the widow of John B Cochrane, and carved on the stone at the side is “To the glory of God in memory of John Bell Cochrane, a founder and benefactor of this Church 1842-1914. J.H.C.” It was dedicated in 2 December 1922. Douglas Strachan, designer.
3. Next to it is the third window, which was erected posthumously, not quite finished, it having been intended to have some wording on it which is missing. It shows the angel guarding the tomb and the inscription on the stonework at the side reads: “To the glory of God in memory of David Scribner Merrow, first minister of this church, a beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord 1871-1947.” Also by Douglas Strachan.
4. In the nave on the north side is a two light window. It represents the Crucifixion; the west light shows Mary Cleophas, Mary and John, behind them the centurion on horseback with a background of houses. The east light continues the background and shows Our Lord on the Cross with Mary Magdalene kneeling at His feet and a Roman soldier standing by . Below is an oak board with lead letters bearing the following inscription: “To the glory of God in loving memory of Catherine Jane Sherriff, a devout member and benefactor of this Church. A friend of the poor and all good causes. This window is placed by her children. The souls of the righteous are in the hands of God. They shall obtain joy and gladness and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.” The window was dedicated on 26 September 1937. It is the work of Douglas Strachan.