"Main Street, Shieldhill"

Maker
Unknown
Production date
Circa 1930
Description
View looking east from just beyond where Crossbrae leaves the Main Street showing a hall, war memorial, single storey houses and a church.
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Maker
Production date
Circa 1930
Subject person
Subject notes
The hall is the Miners' Welfare, built in 1925 and beyond it is the swing park. The war memorial is on the left side of the street, to the right of the hall and swing park. The home of the artist John Sneddon (see eg P14803/1984-79-2) is to the left of the hall. The church is the Muiravon Free Church, built in 1864 and enlarged in 1894, later to become the Blackbraes and Shieldhill Parish Church. It had a red-tile roof with three slim lancet windows. Beyond the church were the stone-built 'raws', two rows of miners' housing. The top row was on the street and behind it and downhill from the street was the bottom row. The rows and the two-storey pit manager's house were demolished once the pit closed. HALL 8984 7681.
Accession number
P13249