Falkirk High Station

Maker
Thomas McInnes
Production date
Jul 1978
Description
View of the stone-built station building with slate roof on the east-bound platform. There is an iron lattice-work footbridge over the line. There is a road bridge in the distance.
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Production date
Jul 1978
Subject notes
The line was built by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway Company and opened in 1842 as a fast contour-hugging route between the cities. At that time the station was located well above the town in the countryside. Falkirk Grahamston, opened in 1850, was more convenient for the town centre.
The Edinburgh & Glasgow was taken over by the North British Railway Company who operated it until 1923, followed by the LNER until 1947 and then British Railways who demolished and replaced the bridge in 1978 and the buildings in the 1980s.
Accession number
P03859

Colours


Share