Car ferry, Hope, at South Alloa Pier

Maker
Unknown
Production date
Circa 1930
Description
View of steam-driven car ferry loaded with vans. It has a vertical stem, substantial mast and a tall thin funnel. It is boarded by a side ramp and has no turntable. The Admiralty type anchor is not stowed away suggesting it was in frequent use. The ferry is loaded with vans, one of which belongs to Grangemouth Laundry.
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Maker
Production date
Circa 1930
Subject notes
The steam-powered ferry was built in 1905 at the McKay brothers' Kelliebank yard, Alloa, and has not been painted recently. The lack of a turntable requires the drivers to manoeuvre carefully during loading and unloading. FERRY RAN FROM ALLOA TO SOUTH ALLOA
Accession number
P13874