"The Toll, Bonnybridge"

Maker
1. Unknown
2. Bonnybridge Photographic Society
Production date
Circa 1900
Description
The toll-keeper's cottage - view of a single-storey cottage with slate roof. One end has a shop window advertising Mitchell's Gold Medal Prize Crop Cigarettes. Beyond it is a single storey hall. Children are standing in the street. Temperance Hall in background
See full details

Object detail

Department
Production date
Circa 1900
Subject notes
The cottage housed the toll keeper. Toll keepers were employed by the Road Trustees until 1878 to collect money for the upkeep of roads, in this case Seabegs Road and the road to Dennyloanhead.

The hall is the Temperance Hall, opened in 1882 by the Star O' Bonnyvale Lodge of the Independent (International?) Order of Good Templars. Consumption of alcohol was ruining many lives and the Temperance Movement aimed to educate people about its dangers.
Accession number
P00030

Share

Public comments

Be the first to comment on this object record.

Google reCaptchaThis site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.