Westwood shale oil works, West Lothian

Maker
Unknown
Production date
Circa 1910
Description
The retort was where the oil was distilled from crushed shale. It was constructed of cast iron and firebricks. The vertical retort was introduced in 1839 and its efficiency was improved over the years. The Pumpherston retort developed in 1894 was especially efficient.
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Maker
Production date
Circa 1910
Subject notes
Crushed shale was fed into hoppers at the top of the retort. The shale was heated using gas produced from the shale itself and spent shale was taken away in rail trucks from underneath the retort. Ammonia was also produced and when converted to ammonium sulphate was sold to farmers as fertiliser.
Accession number
P16699

Colours


Share