Bus with crew, Larbert

Maker
Unknown
Production date
05 Jun 1930
Description
The driver and conductress stand beside their bus outside the shop of G Santis. The shop advertises ices and fish suppers. The 'clippie' or 'duckie' is carrying a ticket machine, leather money bag and whistle. The spare wheel locker is empty.
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Maker
Production date
05 Jun 1930
Subject notes
The bus belongs to Hugh Pender and Sons of Rumford and is bound for Camelon. The company began a service from Camelon to Larbert via Bainsford in August 1923, duplicating the tram route. It had 16 buses by 1929. The bus is an Albion, made in Glasgow, registration HS 5170.

From about 1900 in the Falkirk area, buses operated on local journeys, and were soon cheap enough for ordinary people. In 1930 the speed limit on buses was raised from 20 to 30mph; drivers had to pass a test and be over 21.
Accession number
P13858

Colours


Share