"Engine of the Comet. Designed and Constructed by the Subscriber at Glasgow in 1811, and started in vessel in August 1812."

Maker
Unknown
Production date
Circa 1850
Description
View of a man in Victorian dress sitting beside a single cylinder steam engine. The piston is connected to a large flywheel and gear wheel. Behind them is a large sliding door.
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Maker
Production date
Circa 1850
Subject notes
Bell had the Comet's hull built by John Wood of Port Glasgow. John Robertson of Glasgow (featured) supplied the engine which drove a set of paddle wheels. She weighed 24 tonnes, had a length of 12 metres and a beam of 3 metres.
Accession number
P10407

Colours


Subject Auto Tags


Share