Bonnybridge Silica & Fireclay Co Ltd records

Primary maker
Bonnybridge Silica & Fireclay Co Ltd
Production date
(1950s-1970s)
Description
Catalogues

Object Detail


Name/title notes
Bonnybridge Silica & Fireclay Co operate as manufacturers of bricks and refractory ceramic products. Originated with partnership in 1874 of Azariah Griffiths of Sheffield and Alexander Whyte, flesher, of Alma St, Falkirk. Griffiths became sole partner in 1887. The company was incorporated as Bonnybridge Silica & Fireclay Co in 1906. In 1936, merged with Calder Fireclay Co (founded in 1880) which ran Armadale Brickworks, and combined company then opened Chapelhall Works. Torwood Mine opened in 1940s and company took over Aitkendean Mine, Carrington, Midlothian in the 1960s although this closed shortly afterwards. In 1961 the company was bought from the family and re-financed by Scotcros Ltd and re-named Bonnybridge Refractories Ltd. The company was sold to Hepworth Ceramic Holdings in 1972. Bonnybridge Works closed in 1973 and Chapelhall Works closed in 1980.
The company's registered office is in Linlithgow, West Lothian.
Bonnybridge Silica & Fireclay Co was incorporated in 1969 with the registration number SC047123.
Level of current record
Collection
Production date
(1950s-1970s)
Measurements
2 items
Archives finding aids
This catalogue entry provides a summary of the whole collection. Please use the search tools on the Collections Browser to look for information about individual items in this collection

You can also see a catalogue of the items in this collection on our website. http://www.falkirkcommunitytrust.org/heritage/archives/finding-aids/docs/business/Brickmaking_industries.pdf
Restriction
Open - no restriction on access
Accession number
A63/F3

Share