Bo'ness Parish Church sited on a raised sea-cliff.

Maker
Bo'ness Town Council. Town Planning Officer
Production date
Circa 1970
Description
View of the gothic-style church on top of a high embankment above Grangemouth Road.
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Production date
Circa 1970
Subject person
Subject notes
Waves have eroded the sea cliff, leaving a wave-cut platform in front of it. Later it has been raised up due to isostatic uplift. During the Ice Age, the weight of ice depressed the level of the land. From the time the Forth glacier melted, Central Scotland has been rising up, resulting in raised beaches. These occur primarily at 25 and 100 feet (7.5 and 30m).

The gothic style church has a square tower built of squared rubble stone. The church had three lofts or galleries: the mariners' loft built for the Sea Box Society, the laird's loft complete with the coat of arms of the Duke of Hamilton carved above the north door and warmed retiring room, and the miners' loft. The church replaced an earlier one at Corbiehall which became the Star Cinema. The congregation took the name Bo'ness Old Parish Church in 1929 at the union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church of Scotland.
Accession number
P05105

Colours


Share

Comments


Be the first to comment.