South-east stair tower, Callendar House, 1978

Maker
Thomas McInnes
Production date
Aug 1978
Description
View from the south-east along the south of the house showing a conical-roofed round tower, harled walls, pedimented windows with thistle decoration, crow-stepped gable and iron cresting on the roof.
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Production date
Aug 1978
Subject notes
The oldest part of the building is a late 14th / early 15th century tower house. Major re-modelling and enlargement was carried out in the 17th century. In the early 18th century it was extended to its present length by the addition of two wings.

Further re-modelling, including of the roof was done in 1785-7 and a new frontage was added in 1841-3. The current chateau appearance was brought about in 1869-77. New circular stair towers were added and full height bay windows, balconies and stairs to the south facade.
Accession number
P05376

Colours


Share

Comments


Be the first to comment.