Airth Parish Council records
Airth Parish Council
Abstracts of accounts, cash book, plan of Airth Cemetery and cemetery papers
Parish Councils were set up in 1894 as elected bodies to replace the appointed Parochial Boards.
Parish councils were established by the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1894 (60 & 61 Vict., c. 38) which abolished the Board of Supervision and the parochial boards. Parish councils had a broadly similar remit to that of the parochial boards: their main duty was that of poor relief. They were given some additional powers including the power to acquire buildings for public offices, ground for recreational purposes and the administration of rights of way. They could also take over the administration of some parish trusts. Parish councils were abolished by the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1929 (19 & 20 Geo. V, c. 25), which transferred their powers to the county councils, district councils and town councils.
The successor bodies frequently continued to use the same minute books and other records as their predecessors.
You can also see a catalogue of the items in this collection on our website. http://www.falkirkcommunitytrust.org/heritage/archives/finding-aids/docs/Parochial_boards.pdf