Falkirk Erskine Church records
Falkirk Erskine Parish Church
Session minutes, 1739-1992, Board of Managers minutes, 1753-1993, accounts and financial records, 1844-1993, Communion rolls, 1860-1985, proclamation registers, 1932-1977, property registers 1958-1995, photographs and records of organisations
In 1854 the members living in Grangemouth petitioned presbytery to establish a separate congregation (which eventually became Grange Church). In 1878 the members living in Carron petitioned Presbytery to form a separate congregation. Erskine Church also ran various Sabbath Schools in Falkirk and established the Erskine Church Mission in 1888 which was amalgamated with the mission of St Andrew's Church in 1916 to form the Falkirk United Free Mission.
The congregation occupied two buildings in Falkirk. The first was in Horsemarket Lane, opened in 1742 and re-modelled in 1816 and 1868. A church hall was built in 1878. These buildings were sold in 1910 and later used for the Electric Theatre and demolished in the 1960s. The present building on the corner of Hodge St and Cochrane St was opened in 1905.
You can also see a catalogue of the items in this collection on our website. http://www.falkirkcommunitytrust.org/heritage/archives/finding-aids/churches.aspx