View of BP oil refinery, Grangemouth

Maker
Grangemouth Town Council. Town Planning Officer
Production date
26 Nov 1973
Description
View from the east at Inveravon showing cooling towers, flare stacks, oil tanks and chemical plants. The River Avon is in the middle ground. In the distance across the Forth are the twin chimneys of Kincardine Power Station, Kincardine high flats and the Ochil Hills.
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Production date
26 Nov 1973
Subject notes
The refinery was built on farmland by Scottish Oils in 1924 to process Middle East crude because shale oil production was falling. By the late 1940s BP, successor of Scottish Oils, owned 160 hectares. It moved on to process North Sea crude.

Kincardine was a 375 megawatt coal-fired power station opened in 1962 and demolished in 2001 by Scottish Power when its working life came to an end.
Accession number
P06157

Colours


Share