Lock 15, Forth and Clyde Canal, in a derelict state

Maker
Falkirk Town Council. Town Planning Officer
Production date
08 Feb 1973
Description
View of the canal with the level lowered and the sides invaded by weeds. Lock 15 has been cut down and the top part is missing. The gate has been left ajar.
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Production date
08 Feb 1973
Subject notes
The canal opened in 1790, allowing sea-going ships to sail from the Forth to the Clyde and to dock in Glasgow. It stimulated the growth of heavy industry in the Falkirk area, but the railways and later the roads took away most of its traffic. Its low usage led many to see the canal as an impediment to road traffic rather than a valuable asset. It was closed in 1962 and was culverted in many places and left to deteriorate elsewhere. This policy was eventually overturned and it was re-opened in 2001 for leisure purposes.
Accession number
P06287

Colours


Subject category


Share