The first canal bridge was a bascule bridge, the two halves of which opened upwards. It was replaced in 1905 with a swing bridge strong enough to take the new tramcars. The canal closed in 1962 and was culverted in 1973 so that the road could be widened. The culverted section was replaced by a new raised fixed bridge in 2001 in connection with the re-opening of the canal to navigation. The fixed bridge imposes a height restriction on boats using the canal.