10 Aug 1979
The castle was built in the 15th century by Sir George Crichton, Admiral of Scotland, who allegedly promised to build an unsinkable ship to protect the Forth from English attacks by sea. It was also a state prison, holding Cardinal Beaton in 1543. After the Anglo-Scottish Union in 1707 the castle continued as a garrison and later held prisoners from the Napoleonic War. In 1870 it became a central ammunition store. It is built on an igneous sill of black teschenite.