Blackness Castle

Maker
Thomas McInnes
Production date
24 Aug 1978
Description
View of the castle showing the officers' quarters on the left, the barracks on the right and the main buildings in the centre. Castle built on igneous sill of black teschenite
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Production date
24 Aug 1978
Subject notes
The castle was built in the 15th century by Sir George Crichton, Admiral of Scotland, and annexed to the crown by James II in 1453. It was designed to protect the Forth from English sea-attack and was also a state prison, holding Cardinal Beaton in 1543.

After the Anglo-Scottish Union in 1707 the castle continued as a garrison and later held prisoners from the Napoleonic War. In 1870 it became a central ammunition store. It is built on an igneous sill of black teschenite.

See locality field card
Accession number
P04168