explosives mixing machine
Large wooden framed mixer with bowl and paddles of gun metal. Known as a McRoberts's mixer after its inventor. Used in the production of nitro-glycerine based explosives.
This machine, invented by McRoberts around 1880, mixed or incorporated liquid nitro-glycerine with nitro-cotton or gun cotton. In its liquid state nitro-glycerine is unstable and dangerous. This mixing process resulted in the manufacture of semi-solid plastic explosive which was safer to transport and use. To minimise the risks of explosion during mixing, from striking metal parts, the structure was built of wood and brass was used for the stirring mechanism.
See Curator's Comments
See full details