Falkirk Parish Council records
Falkirk Parish Council
Minutes, accounts, papers on poor relief of individuals, Falkirk Cemetery, Blinkbonny Home, Falkirk Poorhouse and creation of Grangemouth Parish Council
Parish councils were established by the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1894 (60 & 61 Vict., c. 38) which abolished the Board of Supervision and the parochial boards. Parish councils had a broadly similar remit to that of the parochial boards: their main duty was that of poor relief. They were given some additional powers including the power to acquire buildings for public offices, ground for recreational purposes and the administration of rights of way. They could also take over the administration of some parish trusts. Parish councils were abolished by the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1929 (19 & 20 Geo. V, c. 25), which transferred their powers to the county councils, district councils and town councils.
The successor bodies frequently continued to use the same minute books and other records as their predecessors.
You can see catalogues of the items in this collection on our website. http://www.falkirkcommunitytrust.org/heritage/archives/finding-aids/docs/Parochial_boards.pdf