Falkirk Parochial Board records

Primary maker
Falkirk Parochial Board
Production date
1838-1912
Description
Minutes, accounts, correspondence and reports of Inspector of Poor, plans of Falkirk Poorhouse, records of Landward Committee, list of inmates of poorhouse (incomplete), papers on poor relief of individuals from other parishes, regulations and assessment notices.

Object Detail


Name/title notes
Parochial Boards were set up under the Poor Law Act of 1845 to administer poor relief in each parish. From 1867-1890 the Parochial Boards were given additional responsibilities for public health : within burghs these were taken over by burgh commissioners under the various local and general Police Acts, but outwith burghs the Parochial Boards were the designated local authority. In 1894 Parochial Boards were replaced by elected Parish Councils, but the successor bodies frequently continued to use the same minute books and other records as their predecessors. The Parish Councils were abolished in 1930 and their responsibilities were taken over by District Councils of the County.

Falkirk Poor House was opened in 1850 and accommodated poor from Falkirk and surrounding parishes. The building was replaced by Blinkbonny House in 1905, which subsequently became Windsor Hospital and was demolished in 1991. The original poor house became Woodside Home in 1905 and later was used as the County Trades School before it was demolished in the 1980s.
Level of current record
Collection
Primary maker
Production date
1838-1912
Measurements
214 items (1m)
Archives finding aids
This catalogue entry provides a summary of the whole collection. Please use the search tools on the Collections Browser to look for information about individual items in this collection.

You can see catalogues of the items in this collection on our website. http://www.falkirkcommunitytrust.org/heritage/archives/finding-aids/docs/Parochial_boards.pdf
Restriction
Open - expired restriction on access
Accession number
A9/F6

Share