Larbert Parish Council records

Primary maker
Larbert Parish Council
Production date
1900-1930
Description
Minutes; Burial register and lair sales book; accounts; Dobbie Hall Committee minutes;

Object Detail


Name/title notes
Parish Councils were set up in 1894 as elected bodies to replace the appointed Parochial Boards.
Parish councils were established by the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1894 (60 & 61 Vict., c. 38) which abolished the Board of Supervision and the parochial boards. Parish councils had a broadly similar remit to that of the parochial boards: their main duty was that of poor relief. They were given some additional powers including the power to acquire buildings for public offices, ground for recreational purposes and the administration of rights of way. They could also take over the administration of some parish trusts. Parish councils were abolished by the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1929 (19 & 20 Geo. V, c. 25), which transferred their powers to the county councils, district councils and town councils.
The successor bodies frequently continued to use the same minute books and other records as their predecessors.
Level of current record
Collection
Primary maker
Production date
1900-1930
Measurements
14 items
Archives finding aids
This catalogue entry provides a summary of the whole collection. Please use the search tools on the Collections Browser to look for information about individual items in this collection.

You can see catalogues of the items in this collection on our website. http://www.falkirkcommunitytrust.org/heritage/archives/finding-aids/docs/Parochial_boards.pdf
Restriction
Open - no restriction on access
Accession number
A742

Share