Stirling County Council. Eastern No 1 District Council records
Stirling County Council. Eastern No 1 District Council
Minutes, abstracts of accounts, accounts, plans of cemeteries, wartime Spitfire log book
District Councils were established following the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1929. They were set up by the relevant County Council and although they were separate legal entities, the membership was made up of all the county councillors for the electoral divisions in the district along with a few separately elected members. They inherited many of the responsibilities of the parish councils which were abolished. They also undertook work as agents for the County Council and were involved in various joint committees with other local authorities. Until 1948 they also administered poor relief. District councils were abolished in 1975 by the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1973 (c. 65).
It should be noted that their powers differed from those of the district councils which existed from 1975 to 1996.
You can see catalogues of the items in this collection on our website. http://www.falkirkcommunitytrust.org/heritage/archives/finding-aids/stirlingshire.aspx