Falkirk Museums. Archaeology Fieldwork collection

Primary maker
Falkirk Museums
Production date
1958-2008
Description
Archaeological reports and plans.

Object Detail


Name/title notes
Falkirk Museums was first established by Falkirk Town Council as Falkirk Burgh Museum in 1926. It went into abeyance in the 1960s and then was re-established in 1972. After local government re-organisation a service was established for the whole district with museums at Falkirk (1975), Kinneil (1977) and Grangemouth (1979) and Museum Stores in Grangemouth (1978?). In 1994 Falkirk Museum was re-located to Callendar House. In 1996 the remit was formally extended to include the archives service for Falkirk Council.

Archaeology has been a function of Falkirk Museums since the 1950s. Doreen Hunter, Curator of Falkirk Museums in the 1950s and early 1960s was an archaeologist and undertook some excavations while running Falkirk Museums. The post of archaeologist and keeper of local history was established in the late 1970s.
Level of current record
Series
Primary maker
Production date
1958-2008
Measurements
18 items
Archives finding aids
This catalogue entry provides a summary of this series. Please use the search tools on the Collections Browser to look for information about individual items in this collection.
Restriction
Open - no restriction on access
Accession number
A152/S11

Share

Group record